Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Day 9

DAY

Even though I did mention in my last video that the crazy man from day 8 did cause me to wonder if I should finish or not, I am so grateful for my sweet wife that she did not try in anyway to make me give up my trip. There were several times along the way that she made it clear to me that she wanted to do whatever was necessary for me to complete this dream of mine. Thank you, dear Judy. 

Before we drove to downtown Henderson, we went by the Chester County jail to talk to the dispatch office and explain to them what the outcome of my situation was the day before, and to also ask them to possibly send out an officer or two on 45S to make sure I was OK and to make sure the 'crazy guy' hadn't caught up with me.

However, the dispatch office was downtown at the....(can't tell you exactly where, I would have to shoot you all)....and while looking for a parking space downtown, Judy found one of her favorite things in life. A Little Free Library. These are usually just small boxes with 30-40 books in them and anyone can come along, find a book they want to read, and 'hopefully' place another book inside of it first, so someone else can enjoy the book you may have just read. 


They are all over the world and locations can be found at www.littlefreelibrary.org  


So back to Jackson Judy headed, and I headed south. (Did I mention that we came home with a lot more clothes than we left with?)  Well, Judy did. 

I headed south, and before I got out of town, I had a dog situation. Only one time in 122 miles did I have a kind of scary moment with a dog. One came at me barking like crazy and I had to swirl around my cart to try to keep it away from me. But not today. This was a happy dog. 


He came up to me very curious, with a happy yip. He kept following, and following. As much as I would have wanted a companion, I knew he probably belonged to someone, so I tried to shew him away, 8 or 10 times. He kept following me. I even took a few minutes to go inside Bill's BBQ and get a sampling for my BBQ contest, and the little puppy was still outside when I came out. The little rascal followed me for about a quarter of a mile. I finally looked back and he was heading back home. 


Day 9 was unbelievably quiet compared to Day 8, which was fine with me. Boring was fine with me after 'crazy guy'.


 Boring to the point of looking at this and wondering if it was 'crop circles' or a really drunk farmer. In south Texas, we did everything in nice squares and straight lines.

At one point, I crossed the highway for a nice break under some trees. Just as I was crossing back over, I looked up and I saw a really skinny man, about my age, hobbling slowly up the highway with a cane, and carrying some Dollar General store bags. His name was also David and he stopped and talked for a few minutes, though he didn't want to be filmed. David's only means of transportation were his own feet. He had just walked from the Dollar store 8/10th's of a mile down the road. He told me his house was 1/8th of a mile farther down a side road from where we were standing. So, David was just finishing a two mile walk, to get just a small few bags worth of needed items from Dollar General. 

In one of my earlier posts, months ago, I mentioned I knew that some people could never do what I was doing, which is taking a very long walk. Some people can not exercise like me because of either having their abilities taken away because of an unwanted disease. Other people can not exercise because of sudden accidents, such as car wrecks, or work related accidents. Others, sadly have been victims of serious crimes, leaving them maimed. 

I however, by God's grace, have not been touched by any of these, so here I was making my walk passed a crippled, cane carrying David. And he wasn't griping. He simply was living life to his best abilities. My heart went out to David, and I honor him for not giving up and for making possibly a daily 2 mile trek just to get his staples in life.
Way to go, David. 

A few minutes later, I got to David's Dollar General store, and like I had done in Sharon, asked if I could set up my chair in their entryway for a break. Across the street, I saw this sign announcing a very God honoring farm. I had to take a picture of it. Doesn't need much comment.


Thanks Jay and Tina, for honoring your Christ in this simple way. 

To end my day on the very north end of Bethel Springs, which I didn't even know I was coming to yet, I waited for Judy at Ada's Country Store, a super nice store run by Mennonites. It was a store and deli. Full of cheeses, chocolates, essential oil items, wooden toys for kids to buy and/or make from kits, jams and jellies and preserves, home made breads, did I say chocolates? 
So if you are ever in the area, stop by Ada's.




Comments are certainly welcome. If you have ever lived in or visited one of the towns I walked through, tell everybody. If you know someone I met along the way, tell everyone. If something really touches you, well....scratch it. NO, tell everybody. Let this be interactive. Make any comments at the comments tab at the bottom of each page on the blog. But you have to go to the blog. 60Trip.blogspot.com 

sixtytrip@juno.com



Also, when you get to YouTube, hit the 'subscribe' button. 

Day 9 map--Henderson to Ada's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment