Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Day 6 +1


DAY


 Plus 1
(Sunday)

When I started out, I just named my walking days, Day 1 through Day 11, for the 11 days I actually walked. Here is the Sunday in between on which I didn't walk.

I haven't said much about out host families, but I will, or the churches along the way that helped provide them. Our Friday night stay was coordinated by Cornerstone Comm. Church in Jackson, just west of Union University. I had done some research on churches in the area, and Cornerstone seemed to be much like our church in Maryville, Grace Comm. Church. So, we had planned weeks before that we would worship there on this Sunday morning.


Cornerstone Community Church, Jackson, Tn

I had spoken to the pastor on the phone but had not met him. When we entered the foyer, he was standing there and recognized me and called me by name. I guess he had seen my picture on my blog. He met Judy and I and we spoke for a moment. 

Then he said, 'I think there is a family here who you may know,' and he attempted to tell us their name, which he mispronounced. Finally, Judy spoke up and said, 'Are you trying to say Creasy?' Just about this time, Judy looked through the door into the sanctuary and said, 'there they are right there.' They were dropping their youngest child off at Union for a 4 week program that allowed her to get two dual-enrollment credits. The Creasy's had also just 'out of the blue' googled Cornerstone and thought it was very similar to our church and decided to worship there on the same morning.

We not only have known the Creasys for the 10 years we have been at Grace, but they live less than a mile from our home in Maryville. We went and sat in front of them and visited for a few minutes. Before the service started, a young man who was sitting in front of us turned around, pointed at Mr. Creasy, and said, 'I spent the weekend in your home 5 years ago.' 

Mr. Creasy told him he didn't think they had ever met, to which the young man replied, 'I go to such-and-such church in the Atlanta area and our youth group spent the weekend with your youth several years ago in Maryville and three or four guys stayed in your home. 

WHAT A SMALL WORLD. But that is only one of several amazing coincidences that we had along the way which I will share more of later. 

We ate lunch, went back to the motel, and rested from a long, tiring week. 





3 comments:

  1. I am back again, David�� When you speak of Jackson, TN and Union University and Cornerstone church.....my heart is warmed!!! Our grandson attended both Union and Cornerstone while in his first four years of college. We are familiar with Jackson due to trips we made there. Sounds like you are enjoying your journey and we continue to wish you God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard Union has stayed fairly conservative, while many others have gone wildly liberal. Cornerstone is a great church with great leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying reading about your trip. Congratulations on meeting your goal of walking across the state. I think it's great that you had that desire and you saw it through to the end. I'm thankful God gave you the strength to do it. And I'm looking forward to seeing the interviews in the future.
    The only place you've been to so far that I have also been to is Jackson. I was awakened in the middle of the night to drive across the state and pick up a juvenile delinquent who had worn out his welcome at his group home there. We had to drive him to the detention center in Columbia before making our way back to Maryville. It was not a nice trip and I couldn't see much of Jackson in the dark anyway. I'm glad your trip has been much more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete