Monday, June 17, 2019

The Trip West

Pre-trip

As I've said before, I had a dream for this trip for maybe 5-6 years,  but didn't voice it to Judy for awhile. My original idea was to walk from North Carolina to Memphis. But then, about 4 years ago I started having chest pains, but only when I walked fast and more than just a few feet. 

Then, in January, 2016, I had heart surgery to clean out a 100% blockage in what is called a 'widow-maker' artery and had a heart stint. After a year, my doctor said I was looking fine and told me to go ahead with my dream. But, Judy and I compromised and agreed to a north to south trip, instead of a month's long east to west trip. 

So, since then, 3-5 times a week, I would walk on different portions of our greenbelt early in the morning after getting off of work for 3 to 4 miles each time. Since last June, I did this pushing my three-wheeled cart that I ended up pushing on my walk.

The Trip West

So, on Saturday, May 25, 2019, Judy and I headed west to my starting point, the Tenn/Ky border that separates the towns of Fulton, Ky and South Fulton, Tenn in two. We spent Sat/Sun night in a nice AirBnB on the Kentucky side, had a nice Mexican supper downtown Fulton,  and visited South Fulton Baptist Sunday morning. 


Romantic Towns along the Way

During our entire two week trip, we encountered many romantic European/Mediterranean type of cities. Monterey, Carthage, Lebanon, Paris, Rome, Dresden, Milan, Medina, Corinth. 

Driving through Paris, we had to go see this. Yes, only 70 feet tall, but cool to see. 

Sunday afternoon, we went to the Discovery Park of America, in Union City, about 15 miles SW of Fulton. For a town that is not a major city, it is a really nice facility. 

In the main entryway were these dinosaurs. 
There were also re-creations of historical items. Included was a Gutenberg press, (Judy's favorite) which revolutionized the world of printing, along with jump-starting the Protestant Reformation. Also was a Biblical Ark of the Covenant. (pssst--probably not the original one)

There were also military items including a Titan rocket and a transportation room. 



I wouldn't drive all the way across the state just for this, but if you are ever in the area, it's worth looking into. 

Last minute really sad, trip news. (not really)




Comments are certainly welcome. If you have ever lived in or visited one of the towns I walked through, tell everybody. If you know someone I met along the way, tell everyone. If something really touches you, well....scratch it. NO, tell everybody. Let this be interactive. Make any comments at the comments tab at the bottom of each page on the blog. But you have to go to the blog. 60Trip.blogspot.com 

Also, when you get to YouTube, hit the 'subscribe' button. 


No comments:

Post a Comment