Sunday, June 23, 2019

Day 3

Day


I started this morning back at Shelton's restaurant. The heat and the wind were back in force today. About a mile into today's walk, I came across a church with an odd fixture next to it. An old wooden horse buggie, ...carriage,... whatever you want to call it. 

The man standing by it was a member of the church and just happened to be there doing some maintenance work. So I went up and asked about the buggie. The age of it was and still is in question, but did find out that the company that made it, H H Babcock went out of business in 1926, and by then, they were making bodies for car companies. So no telling really how old it is. 

News flash-update
The man in the picture just two or three days ago, emailed me and said the pastor told him the buggy was made in 1886, so it is 133 years old. 

<Look for Jeff in an upcoming video>

This day was pretty uneventful. I did walk through the town of Greenfield, where Judy had gone on ahead and met me for a few minutes. All along the way, I also saw farming at a bigger level than what I had grown up with. The tractor and implement (below)  he is pulling attest to that. Yes, my dad farmed about 500 acres of cotton, citrus, grain sorghum, corn and all kinds of assorted vegetables. However, most of the fields were only maybe 10 to 20 acres each and having tractors this big was not needed. 


psst, don't forget to click on the videos. :)

Here is a spray 'thingy'. My uncle  used to use one like this, but much smaller. I guess they don't have crop dusting planes like I grew up with. 



THEN, 
close to the end of my day, I found a quiet peaceful convenience store in the town of Bradford. The clerk, or owner, was the only one in the store. I talked to her and asked her if she had any story about her life to tell me and she said she was not much of a talker. I sat down at a table to rest and drink something. Then, in walked two men. The second one was rather large, and LOUD. He looked at the clerk and yelled, pointing to himself and his friend, "Well, it's 'Dumb' and 'Dumber'." I immediately realized this man was probably a talker with a story. So, I yelled out myself, 'Hey, Dumb, come talk to me a second.' He kindly came over and sat at my table and I told him I was walking across Tennessee and asked him if he had anything to tell the world. 

<Look for a future video of a man with a large goatee, and a name equal to a name of a John Wayne character>

Comments are certainly welcome. If you have ever lived in or visited one of the towns I walked through, tell everybody. If you know someone I met along the way, tell everyone. If something really touches you, well....scratch it. NO, tell everybody. Let this be interactive. Make any comments at the comments tab at the bottom of each page on the blog. But you have to go to the blog. 60Trip.blogspot.com 

sixtytrip@juno.com


Also, when you get to YouTube, hit the 'subscribe' button. 


Day 3 map--South side of Sharon to Bradford. 


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about "dumb and dumber". ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. One co-worker knew who he was from his professional work. Dumb's work, not my co-worker. Any body want to guess what kind of profession he was in?

    ReplyDelete