Monday, September 30, 2019

John Wayne???....uh, no.



Day 3. I walked into Bradford, and found a convenience store to rest in and wait for Judy and then, well,....I'll just reprint what I said in my day 3 post weeks ago. 

Close to the end of my day, I found a quiet peaceful convenience store in the town of Bradford. The clerk, or owner, was the only one in the store. I talked to her and asked her if she had any story about her life to tell me and she said she was not much of a talker. I sat down at a table to rest and drink something. Then, in walked two men. The second one was rather large, and LOUD. He looked at the clerk and yelled, pointing to himself and his friend, "Well, it's 'Dumb' and 'Dumber'." I immediately realized this man was probably a talker with a story. So, I yelled out myself, 'Hey, Dumb, come talk to me a second.' He kindly came over and sat at my table and I told him I was walking across Tennessee and asked him if he had anything to tell the world. 

So, you may ask, 'why did you title this, 'John Wayne'?
In the video he just calls himself 'Rooster'. His full stage name in the ring is Rooster Cogburn, the same name as the John Wayne character in True Grit. 





Click on 'Rooster' if the video does not come up

Hold on! Wait a minute. I'm not finished.
Just a little more fun here. I didn't learn this from Rooster, but from the Baptist pastor that we stayed with that night. Just east of Bradford is the unincorporated town of Skullbone, Tn. According to legend, Skullbone was incorporated back in the 1800's and as I understand it, was and possibly still is a center for 'bare fisted fighting'. It was illegal, I'm guessing according to state law, to have bare fisted fighting within the city limits, so Skullbone 'un-incorporated' itself just so they could keep the fun going. What is left is one store, and one pole announcing mileage to cities all over the world. 
Here is a website explaining the town of Skullbone. Make sure to watch the video inside. 

'Crack skulls here' to get to website. 






No comments:

Post a Comment